Welcome

This is a blog about the pursuits of Naturalist Alan Russo to incorporate all things Natural, especially Plants, into his daily life. Living close to Nature has always been a passion of mine and I try, with natures help, to live a Healthy lifestyle for myself and for the Earth.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Stinging Nettles Breakfast

Nettles Breakfast

My Stinging Nettles patch is doing incredible. The plants are at the perfect point where they should be harvested, still young enough to be tender and before they show any hint of flowering.
 When most people hear me talk about eating Stinging Nettle, probably thinking back to their first encounter with the plant and they think I'm crazy. Well, I'm not as crazy as most people think, Stinging Nettle is one of the most nutritious plants on the planet. They are high in vitamins A and C and are also high in protein and trace minerals. If handled correctly, they make a extremely delicious vegetable. If you gather and prep them with gloves on there should be no problem, and once they are cooked or dried they loose their sting. 
 Today I decided to make a Nettles Omelet. I sauteed the nettles in Organic Olive Oil with just a touch of salt. They have such a good flavor you don't need to do more than that, though of course, you can add some other wild edibles like field garlic etc. The left over I just put in a bowl in the fridge and munched on them the rest of the day. A good hearty nutritious meal.
To see my Nettles patch and a little more info: http://ethnobotanist128.blogspot.com/2010/10/stinging-nettles.html 
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment