Welcome

This is a blog about the pursuits of Naturalist Alan Russo to incorporate all things Natural, especially Plants, into his daily life. Living close to Nature has always been a passion of mine and I try, with natures help, to live a Healthy lifestyle for myself and for the Earth.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pear Bowl with Pecans

It's that time of year again!
  In the past week we have had some pretty windy weather. This has done wonders for knocking the Pecans from the trees and it has been easy pickins. We have five large Pecan Trees on our property and I always look forward to harvesting lots of Pecans every year. What you see in the bowl is about a quarter of what I collected from under just 1 and a half trees (I got tired of bending at the second tree) and there are plenty more still on the trees. Today I will collect more from the other two tree. When all was said and done I collected a total of 70 lbs from three trees!
  I decide to crack a bunch open to add to some oatmeal for breakfast. Organic oatmeal, fresh picked Pecans and some organic butter. YUM, boy was that good!
  Pecans are quite a healthy food. They are high in protein, good fats, vitamins and minerals and contain no cholesterol.  A couple of interesting articles on Pecans for more specifics and some history:   http://www.helium.com/items/1611083-pecans-and-your-health
http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/st-plains/nature/images/pecan.html
Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment